Thursday, April 30, 2015

Paper Forest and Dala Horse


Awhile back my mother-in-law bought me a Carol Doak book because she knew I'm nuts for paper piecing. Among the awesomeness, there are patterns for many types of trees and houses!

 I decided that I would sew up a bunch and make a journal cover for a composition notebook (ya know, the black and while marbled ones everyone used in school). I made a little forest, with a little house in the woods and it will fit in perfectly with this month's Le Challenge which is "WOOD".

These are about 4.5 inches when finished so it would take a whole forest to make a quilt! The little house in the bottom picture is my favorite. He came out so cute!

I am not so happy with the way the binding came out. I used prepackaged bias tape and I couldn't get it to behave. If I got it so that it looked good, the journal wouldn't fit in the cover. When the journal fit, it looked twisted and lumpy. I finally decided that I would quit messing with it because I was just getting more and more mad about it.
So I will leave well enough alone because it will never be perfect. Which is a shame, because beautiful paper piecing got ruined by me trying to mock up a pattern. Oh well! I can always make a whole village full of houses and trees :)


I also made the monthly block for the "Not so Last Minute Christmas Quilt Along". This guy is a Dala Horse which is a Scandinavian Christmas symbol. The paper piecing was easy enough, but I had a terrible time piecing all of the pieces together! I couldn't get them sewn in an order so that I wouldn't leave Y seams. But he didn't turn out that bad :)
This is also Thursday, so I am thankful to have the time and ability to sew because it is what is soothing for me. Next Thursday I have surgery on my right hand and it might be awhile before I can sew. So this Thursday, I will delight in sewing! I'm going to soak it all up just in case I wont be able to soon.

Linking up with:

Le Challenge
A Quilting Chick - Not So Last Minute Christmas QAL

6 comments:

  1. Your Dala Horse turned out so pretty!! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trees and house are so cute; what a bummer about the bias tape binding. I hope that your surgery goes well next week and that you have a short recovery time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, I just finished my Dala Horse and was looking to link (closed now), but I was glad to see yours (love your fabrics) and come visit. I like the challenge of a block or two a month of paper piecing (I'm also doing the Zoo Animals at Kristie's blog, quietplay.blogspot.com). To help with putting the pieces together there is a diagram from the original designer, Juliana, on her blog with the instructions of the order in which to sew the pieces for each of the blocks. Here is the Dala Horse page: http://jednoiglec.blogspot.com/2014/11/dala-horse-block-pattern.html. Your little forest and house blocks are darling. Hope your surgery has gone well and you're back to quilting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your forest! Great idea to add the little house too! My quilting bee is working on rows of flying geese trees that will become a quilt for my son, I think it might be fun to add a little house amongst those trees! Thanks for linking to le challenge. Your horse looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I do hope you surgery goes well and you have a healthy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun idea for the theme. I like the little house addition. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete