Thursday, March 12, 2015

Passion for Patriotism!

So the Le Challenge theme this month is PASSION...
and when it was announced, I quickly forgot about it because nothing came to mind.

At the same time, I had this guy sitting on my design wall
I had made this Nick Fury portrait as a pattern I tested here for Lynne Schwarz. If you scroll down through 1/2 the page you can see him hanging out without the embroidery. I tried to link directly to the pattern, but it wouldn't work, so there is the link to the page.
I had the idea that I would made a...something, not sure what...to donate to the library for their summer reading program. See, each year they have a theme and raffle off weekly prizes for the kids who have been reading. This year the theme is going to be "Superheroes" so I figured he could go to some bookworm kid. But what was I going to turn dear Nick into other than a lone quilt block? I had no idea.

 Are these things related? You bet!

I was talking to my husband about the Nick Fury (Hubby is a big comics fan) and he was talking about how Nick Fury is just so patriotic, like that is his driving force as a character, it is his PASSION if you will. He is passionate about the USA :D


  So this made me come up with a plan for poor incomplete Nick, I would make a bag! With a zipper! and lining!



For the back of the bag I also took a pattern off of Fandom in Stitches, this one made by Lilja Björk Sigurdórsdóttir. It is the emblem of the organization that Nick Fury is in called S.H.I.E.L.D.



All in all it came out as a really cute pouch and I am really happy with it. I'm, going to take it down to the library tomorrow and give it to the librarian to hold for Summer Reading.



And it just so happens I have an entry for Le Challenge, even though I was not planning on entering.

YAY!

u Linking up with
Le Challenge

...(even though my picture won't come up)
Hello, World
Fort Worth Fabric Studio
Paper Piecing Party Br />
Pet Project Show

7 comments:

  1. That's so brilliant! I love that you turned it into a bag and some kid is going to be thrilled! Great way to interpret the theme and thanks for linking to le challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interpretation! Love the pouch. thanks for participating to le challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to interpret the theme. You blocks look fantastic, great stitching!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out great! What a wonderful interpretation of the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I am a new follower if it matters. You said to things Nick Fury and library to hook me! I try to do things to support my library to and our boy (9) is nuts for super heroes! Your bag looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a brilliant make, it really captures his spirit

    ReplyDelete