Friday, March 27, 2015

Paper Piecing on a Rainy Friday

Today it is dreary, cold and rainy! But we are warm and cozy in the house and I can spend all day quilting
I WANTED to spend the day in the garden, getting some exercise or something outside and productive, but that is not going to happen.
If the weather were nice, I would dig a new garden plot, plant some early veggies or go Geocaching! Alas, it is not going to happen. Probably for the best because there is a rumor of snow tomorrow and that would not be good for baby plants.
So I am going to spend my gloomy Friday paper piecing!!! YEAH!


I finished up making the traditional old timey sewing machine mini quilt. This has been a WIP for awhile now. The machine is paper pieced from a pattern designed by the amazing Janeen from Quilt Art Designs. This is part of her Springtime designs, perfect on a rainy day, yes?
The bunting is paper pieced from a pattern I bought for placemats.
The wonky spools are a mocked up pattern that I designed...yeah hence them not being perfect. But through the magic of quilt math, they actually came together nicely, just...a little wonky LOL.
The back is a DISASTER of FMQ hehe. I still have tension issues on machine, so what looked like amazing stippling and zig-zags on the front, was a loose loopy mess on the back. I ended up ripping it all out (very easy when it was so loose) and using a walking foot to stitch in the ditch, which came out nicely surprisingly.
The binding is some really cute ribbon I picked up of deer with purple trees on a pink field.
I'm submitting this to Le Challenge #21 --TRADITION
Le Challenge
Sewing is a tradition in my family. I learned from my mother, who learned from her mother who learned from her mother....and back and back probably until the invention of the sewing needle! Now I sew with my daughter and when she is older hopefully she will realize that this has been passed down from mothers to daughters with our mitochondrial DNA! LOL.
So what better way to represent that than with an old timey sewing machine and spools?

Well that's done

So what to do now? I think some more paper piecing. Today is a good day to listen to OK Computer by Radiohead and mindlessly follow paper piecing!
Linking up with:
BOM @ QADesigns


Fort Worth Fabric Studio
Quilty Thankful Thursdays
TGIFF
Tweety Loves Quilting
Pet Project Show

13 comments:

  1. However you got there, it's a sweet little quilt. You mentioned geocaching, so I have to ask if you've seen the geocaching-themed quilt made from lotto blocks in the gallery on black lotto. Julie P made it - Wonky Tree Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! That is so funny!
    What a neat idea and I bet Joe loves it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little quilt. I like that you took the pattern for the sewing machine but then added the bunting and the wonky thread spools to make it something uniquely your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you have patience, and talent! How wonderful that you tweaked your pattern into a unique project, too.

    Thank you for linking this up to the Pet Project Show this week. I love seeing it there!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this cute mini! Paper piecing is a great way of enjoying a rainy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a darling quilt pattern you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is so pretty. I am hoping the weather will be sunny and warmer this week! Have a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely bright colors. Thank you for sharing your process! I rarely follow patterns exactly either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the desi g of your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet design and I like the bright colours! The wonky spools look brilliant!! Thanks for linking to le challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great design, thanks for sharing on le challenge!

    ReplyDelete