Monday, February 16, 2015

Scrappy Orange Peel

A friend of mine said that she was inspired by the some quilt blocks that were made in a Civil War era bee. She requested that her quilter friends make some random blocks and send them to her to piece into a quilt. She said that she would like them really eclectic and it didn't matter if they were vintage looking or modern, but I took the Civil War idea and ran with it.
I have a book (really old that I found at a thrift store) of quilts from different eras and sample blocks. There was an Orange Peel-type block in it, but I did not like the tutorial.
BUT!
I found a wonderful tutorial here. This is from a classic quilt block tutorial series. I have had the WORST time with applique, but this tutorial really made it easy!
I made it scrappy too, so I will link it to Scraptastic Tuesday Linkup

3 comments:

  1. Well done for finding a solution to liking a block but not the method and thanks for sharing! Applique is not everyone's cup of tea but it is mine though it does take a bit of practice! Thank you for joining us at #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. After learning this method, I don't think I will have any more fear of applique! This was time consuming, but the result was better than I have got before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good background for these orange peels. So much more interesting that a single fabric. I like applique although I rarely do it these days. Must start again.

    ReplyDelete