Sunday, February 8, 2015

Project Quilting challenge 3...Done!


I finally finished this quilt!
Last Sunday, I had a pile of fabric and 2 made blocks. I worked my butt off on this and I doubt I will push myself this hard again!



 My mother-in-law found this fabric at a flea market or yard sale, and look at the copyright date! 22 years of waiting for someone to make a quilt. They all were in a box and all had similar dates on them :)
I just made it and already the quilt is an antique :)
I took some pictures in the light today, it is so pretty out!
My little helper...did not want to help, only swing!

Another (not so helpful) helper


One of the original orphan blocks. This was an orphan block/UFO challenge
The rules said I needed some applique, and this is the applique block!

My own pattern block

Paper pieced from http://www.squaresandtriangles.com/homeward-bound-block-tutorial

Paper pieced from http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LacedStarBlock.html

This is the other orphan block

I didn't do any fancy stitching on this, just stitch in the ditch.
"Hearts and Holsteins"
Melissa Meinhard
Finished at 46" x 64"
fleece battling
Linking up with Project Quilting here! and Creative Goodness here
and Sew Cute Tuesday here

12 comments:

  1. What a great quilt! Nice work and welcome to Project QUILTING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great design and detailing.....looks to be done by a true talent Id say!

    Sarah Stroud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! You need to start sewing so we both can get in challenges :)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! I really love the paper pieced blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I really love the paper pieced blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are my favorite too😊

      Delete
  5. Cool quilt - I love that 'homeward bound' block especially, thanks for the tutorial link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I used to have to write a lot of scientific papers so I habitually cite everything :)
      Plus, anything found is worth passing along!

      Delete
  6. What a fun bold quilt. :) www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was so much fun to make

      Delete
  7. I just read your nursing home story and had to look back and see the Holstein's and Hearts quilt. It's cute!

    ReplyDelete